uw logo

Select your language

female architect with builders

Get the Right Construction or Builders Risk Insurance  

With today's building codes and regulations, it's easy to overlook important insurance requirements for your construction property. What if you're planning to start a new construction project? Or, maybe you already have a construction project that's just getting underway. If so, it's a good idea to know what types of insurance you need, whether you need to purchase any additional insurance.

Get quote now.

How to Get the Right construction insurance while avoiding Common Mistakes when constructing a new building project

You want to ensure the proper protection against potential disasters when you start your construction project. But how? It's easy! We've put together this guide to help you pick the best coverage for your specific situation. Any construction project is a big investment in most people's lives. We help you save money and avoid common mistakes when buying your new home or property building and contents insurance under construction.

1. Understand the Construction Process and its Impact on Insurance Coverage
arrow icon

When it comes to construction, there are three basic steps: the conceptualization stage, the planning and execution phase, and the construction phase. The second step is where the insurance company can become a player and shape the outcome of a project. The insurance industry is a fairly large and growing industry, but few companies are familiar with construction insurance. For example, people don't realize the difference between a contractor's policy and an architect's policy. There will be no insurance coverage from normal property insurance if it is still a half-completed building. Standard property insurance will not cover stolen building materials that are unattached unless you have builders' risk insurance. The range of liability insurance and its coverage is complex, depending on the stage of construction. It is extremely important to understand what's covered and what's not for the various insurance policy.

2. Determine the Insurance Needs for Your Project
arrow icon

Before starting the construction of our project, it is essential to know the basic information about insurance for construction projects. The amount of insurance you need depends on the type of project you are undertaking, the size of the project, and the project's location. You will also need to determine whether the insurance is mandatory or voluntary. Compulsory insurance is required by law, while voluntary insurance is not. You should always get at least the minimum amount of coverage required by law.

3. Select the Right Kinds of Insurance
arrow icon

Insurance can cost you a fortune if you don't get it right. Here are some key insurance tips to consider when choosing an insurance plan for your construction project.

Various kinds of insurance are essential for any construction project. The basics are liability and property insurance. However, you need coverage for both types that cover buildings under construction when a project is under construction. Insurance coverage will end with the completion of construction, regardless of the duration you still have on the builder's risk insurance. It's important to know the types of insurance even if you aren't planning on selling the house. A builder might sell the home before it's finished, so you want to protect the items inside before completion.

4. Selecting a Provider
arrow icon

Most people are completely unaware of what it even entails when it comes to insurance. They think it's just another form of protection you can purchase when you need it. In reality, it is the largest expense associated with any construction project. The right policy is a must-have for every business involved in a construction project. This type of coverage will protect the company from losses or liabilities incurred in building a structure. Without the proper coverage, there is a risk of the business being held liable for any claims brought against them by third parties.

Talk to an insurance and risk specialist with years of construction experience.

5. Pay the Bill and know when and where the coverage ends.
arrow icon

For most construction insurance, it is essential to keep track of the insurance expiry. You don't want to overlook and end up with no coverage. Find out if the policy allows mid-term cancellation or having the ability to extend when needed. Like many projects, nobody can guarantee that the project completion date will always be on time and within budget.

What are the major Construction Insurance Types?

arrow icon

Whether home builders or commercial projects, construction projects are considered risky businesses. Every day, accidents or other unexpected worksite events result in losses or liabilities. By having construction policies, the risk will be mitigated so that the costs do not outweigh the benefits of a construction project.

There are five main construction insurance types :

  1. Commercial General Liability
  2. Property
  3. Builders' Risk
  4. Professional Liability
  5. Wrap Up.

These various construction policies create a seamless net of complementary coverage for all chosen risks without overlapping.

Commercial General Liability Insurance
arrow icon

A Commercial General Liability (CGL) will respond to liability resulting from damage to third parties. It does not cover damage to the insured property or injury.

Should an accident occur due to insured negligence, mishap or occurrence, it is not expected or planned. Liability coverage kicks in.

It covers the insured's legal obligation to pay compensatory damages to a third party within the following categories:

  1. Bodily Injury (Commonly known as physical injury or distress to another person caused by external force including associated medical expenses)
  2. Personal injury (separate from Bodily Injury above covering, such as malicious prosecution, libel, slander, and false imprisonment, which is not directly injured another person but involves intangible injuries)
  3. Property Damage of the other party (sometimes also defined as the loss of use of tangible property)

Some CGL policies also cover non-owned auto and tenants' Legal Liability.

Property Insurance
arrow icon

While CGL coverage is triggered by liability to pay damages to third parties, this section covers the insured property. Commercial property policies protect the insured property against damage from various risks. These include intentional damage to the property by third parties and be a peril falling within the policy's scope. Most importantly, The loss or damage must be fortuitous -- accidental, out of the ordinary, or unexpected.

Construction insurers that cover property respond to any direct physical loss or damage to property. It comes in forms where the insured has the option to protect against "named / specific perils" or "all-risks" that protect their property unless expressly excluded. Insured's loss result by accident will be covered, subject to policy exclusions.

Builders' Risk Insurance
arrow icon

The "Builders' risk" is specialized property coverage applied by contractors in the industry to protect against liability on physical loss or damage to a structure or project they have contracted to build.

They are commonly known as the "Course Of Construction" or "COC." It usually only remains active until the project's completion. Almost all construction project has this coverage for their building project's protection.

The policy starts when the project begins. It covers all property for the construction project, including installation, repair, and temporary property located on-site such as scaffolding or forms.

Builders risk often underwrite property with soft cost and hard cost. Should any claims happen, building material damaged on site will be covered, adding work done on-site. A typical example is a half-done basement flooded. The contractor's cost to remove and redo the work will be covered, not just the material to replace.

Since the Builders Risk covers several parties, the owner, contractor, engineer, or project manager can purchase these insurance types. The construction contract will often define which party is responsible for buying the insurance. The owner and general contractor typically accept the policy. They will be covered under "named insureds" to protect their financial interest in the project.

The policy will include subcontractors as "unnamed insureds" and have the same coverage benefits on the project. Both are protected from legal suits if they are responsible for the loss.

The insurer cannot take legal action against someone covered by the same policy. However, it will not include mechanical breakdown, faulty design, exclusive named brand, wear and tear, inherent vice, contractor's tools and equipment, owned, leased, or loaned.

In summary, the Builders risk is not "catchall" insurance. Be careful to review as some insurers will also include excluding soft costs.

You may want to consider the following addon as they are not part of a typical builder's risk policy coverage.

Equipment breakdown, Tools and equipment floater, Commercial Auto

Policy Coverage for builders risk
arrow icon

The COC is a policy that protects the insured against financial loss accidents.

The typical course of construction insurance coverage includes:

  • Fire, Explosion, Impact by aircraft or vehicles, Riot, Vandalism, and malicious acts, Windstorm, hail, and rain, Burglary and theft, Lightning, Collapse and Subsidence

Sample coverage such as vandalism on the project damaged property, stolen tools, including the materials and supplies necessary to complete the home builders project. Should there be a flood or earthquake, COC will cover expenses incurred to remove site debris and any potential demolition needed to repair the damaged structure.

Valuation of the project covered by the policy could include extra work fees for architects and engineers, barricades, and additional site structures, including temporary buildings. It may consist of soft costs, such as legal fees or premiums.

Professional Liability Insurance
arrow icon

Commercial General Liability (CGL) policies won't protect against risks when the business provides professional services, such as giving incorrect advice, an omission, or failing to deliver a service.

Professional Liability, also known as Errors and Omissions (E&O Insurance), protects a business from claims of negligence related to a professional service.

Businesses that provide professional services or give advice to clients should consider purchasing an E&O coverage. It protects when a business owner is sued for negligence because their work doesn't meet a client's expectations. It can also offer coverage for claims arising from services provided in the past and work performed anywhere in the world.

The insurance is highly specialized and tailored to professional services. Professional liable for failing to exercise the required degree of care and skill in providing services differs from the standard commercial risks covered by CGL policy. Therefore, CGL coverage Liability does not substitute professional services.

Electricians, architects, engineers, plumbers, and others must have this coverage when acting as consultants or directly involved in a project in their professional capacity. However, not every act performed or an error made by an architect, engineer, or other professional is covered by an E&O policy. The mistake in question must constitute the performance of a professional service.

There will be a test for whether a particular activity will be considered a "professional service." It analysis if a service provided would constitute both mental or intellectual exercise from an application of specialized skill or knowledge and requires training to the situation involved.

In short, should someone perform a service that non-professionals can do, E&O does not cover service.

This analysis is based on a case by case circumstances. In all cases, a skilled person must perform the activity alleged to be a professional service in their professional capacity.

Construction Policy with large scope - Wrap Up Insurance
arrow icon

This policy intends to provide peace of mind that everyone involved in a project is adequately insured. A Wrap-up policy is comprehensive "blanket" coverage that protects the owner, contractor, subcontractors, and consultants for Commercial, Professional, and Employers' Liability, among other liability risks.

This policy effectively ensures that all liability risks are covered adequately. It avoids the need for contractors and subcontractors to have separate liability policies. It will prevent potential coverage gaps of insufficient limits when dealing with respective insurance policies.

The Wrap-Up policy has a term encompassing the construction period of a project plus an additional number of years after completion to deal with any issues arising during the warranty period. Once active, individual CGL insurance policies will not provide any coverage. All parties' liability policies will no longer be available to project claims subject to the global insurance policy.

The main advantage of such a policy is that it allows contractors to have higher policy limits at a lower cost. It extends over an additional time after project completion, which means that the owner has security and coverage even after project completion.

It usually serves as an all-encompassing policy on large projects costing over $10 million that protect all contractors and subcontractors.

There are two types of wrap-up policy, namely owner-controlled and contractor-controlled.

  • The project owner sets up owner-controlled wrap-up insurance to benefit the builder or contractor to cover all listed contractors.
  • The general contractor sets up a contractor-controlled program to extend coverage to all the contractors and subcontractors signed up on the project.

For example, consider an owner-controlled program purchased by the owner on behalf of the builder or contractor. The coverage includes bodily injury, general, excess, pollution and professional liability, and the builder's risk and railroad protective liability. While wrap-up costs can be expensive, the price will make sense when divided among the general contractors and sub-contractors. It will make financial sense to the entire mega project when all contractors involved in the same project can split the cost. Most importantly, individual contractors may only get cover up to a smaller amount, such as up to a million exposure and may have trouble getting a higher coverage.

Understanding Wrap Up Insurance Coverage

The Types of Coverage on a construction policy
arrow icon

Wrap-up insurance is crucial in the construction insurance types coverage. It covers several risks for you, your project, and your workers. Policies can vary but may include:

General Liability with a Broad Form Endorsement
arrow icon

For a project's general liabilities, this coverage will protect the claim. Should it be from third-party injuries that occur on the site or any injuries resulting from work-related activities by the contractor, subcontractor, or owner? It protects the third-party property against damage caused by anyone covered under the policy.

The Excess Liability Insurance
arrow icon

Also known as Umbrella, this coverage will provide a "blanket" beyond the coverage limit for a general liability policy. A typical example:

Assuming 8 million umbrella policy in place on top of a 2 million Commercial General Liability, totalling 10.

Suppose there is an 8 million dollar claim. In that case, the general liability insurance will cover the first $2 million, while the umbrella policy would cover the remaining.

Other Additional

A wrap-up policy may include additional coverage as optional items outside its liability-only scope, such as:

Builder's Risk
arrow icon

Builders' risk covers for any water, weather, and fire damages to a building under construction. In other words, builders' risk is essentially the same as property insurance, except this covers buildings under construction.

Commercial Automobile Insurance
arrow icon

This insurance covers commercial use, including cars, vans, trucks, or specialty vehicles against liability claims and property damage for construction projects.

Property Damage

arrow icon

This coverage will protect property damage for parties named.

If required, you can select external "floaters" for specialized equipment and inland marine insurance for tools and equipment transported to and from the job site.